Social benefits according to SGB II
As with housing allowance, students whose education is eligible for support under the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) are not entitled to benefits to secure their livelihood via unemployment benefit II (ALG II).
As a rule, you have no chance of receiving ALG II. However, there are restrictions and exceptions:
First of all: All benefits are calculated depending on the income and the assets of the community of need and are only granted if you are needy, i.e. if you cannot finance your livelihood otherwise, especially not through maintenance payments from your parents.
Benefits for enrolled students
- In case of additional needs in special life situations (expectant mothers, single parents, medically necessary cost-intensive nutrition, clothing and initial equipment during pregnancy and birth, in case of special, not only one-time needs).
- In cases of hardship, benefits are granted in the form of a loan in certain atypical life situations. Benefits can then be provided in the form of a loan despite full enrollment. This is an optional provision; the term "special hardship" must be interpreted and proven.
You can receive standard needs for living and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance if you have taken up official part-time studies.
Benefits for students on leave of absence
- Benefits for living expenses and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance can be granted if you interrupt your studies due to illness, pregnancy or child rearing during the semester of leave.
- In addition, benefits for additional needs and social benefits for dependents are also possible in this case.
Benefits for students who live in a community of need with their parents
You can exceptionally receive ALG II if you meet one of the following requirements:
- You have applied for BAföG, but a decision on your application has not yet been made.
- A supplement of the accommodation costs in special cases is possible if your need for accommodation costs is not covered because you can only get 56 € for this purpose by the BAföG need assessment.