The German Social Code II (SGB 2) regulates the basic income support for jobseekers (citizen's allowance), which provides assistance for living expenses. Social Code XII (SGB 12) sets out the basic security for old age and reduced earning capacity (social assistance). It provides assistance with living expenses and care.
In other words, basic security provides a standardised benefit for all people who are in need of assistance.
In principle, students whose education is eligible for support under the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) are not entitled to this. However, there are exceptions, which we would like to point out here. But even if you are eligible, the benefits are only calculated on the basis of your income and assets and are only granted if you cannot finance your living costs in any other way, especially not through maintenance payments from your parents.
If you have any questions, please come and see us at the Student Life Advice Centre!
Benefits for enrolled students
- Additional requirements in special circumstances (e.g. clothing and initial equipment during pregnancy and childbirth, additional requirements for single parents, additional requirements for medically necessary, cost-intensive nutrition and for special, non-recurring needs)
- Loans granted in cases of hardship in special life situations (e.g. studying with a child, studying with a disability and/or chronic illness, care work). The "particular hardship" (e.g. in the graduation phase) must be proven on the basis of strict criteria.
- You can receive benefits for living expenses and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance if you have officially taken up part-time study.
Benefits for students on leave of absence
- Benefits for living expenses and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance can be granted if your studies are interrupted due to illness, pregnancy or care work during your semester of leave. In this case, benefits for additional needs in special circumstances and social benefits for children are also possible.
Benefits for students who live in a community of need with their parents
As an exception, you can receive basic security benefits if you fulfil one of the following conditions:
- You have applied for BAföG, but a decision has not yet been made on your application.
- It is possible to supplement your accommodation costs in special cases if your need for accommodation costs is not covered because you can only receive 59 euros for this purpose through the BAföG needs assessment.