Social benefits according to SGB II
In principle, students whose education is eligible for funding under the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG) are not entitled to benefits to secure their livelihood via unemployment benefit II (Arbeitslosengeld II, ALG II). As a rule, you have no chance of receiving ALG II. However, there are exceptions!
First of all: From 01.01.2023, unemployment benefit II and social benefit will be replaced by the citizen's income. The standard needs will then increase by about €50 per month. Further significant changes affecting students are not expected. All benefits are calculated according to income and assets. They are only granted if you are needy, i.e. if you cannot finance your living costs otherwise, especially not through maintenance payments from your parents.
Benefits for enrolled students
- Additional needs in special circumstances (e.g. clothing and initial equipment for pregnancy and birth, additional needs for single parents, additional needs in the case of medically necessary cost-intensive nutrition and in the case of special, not only one-off needs).
- Granting of loans in cases of hardship in certain atypical living situations. The "special hardship" must be proven accordingly on the basis of narrow criteria.
- You can receive benefits for living expenses and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance if you have taken up official part-time studies.
Benefits for students on leave of absence
- Benefits for living expenses and accommodation costs as well as necessary contributions to health and long-term care insurance can be granted if you interrupt your studies due to illness, pregnancy or bringing up a child during a semester of leave. In addition, benefits for additional needs in special circumstances and social benefits for children are also possible in this case.
Benefits for students who live in a community of need with their parents
Exceptionally, you can receive benefits through ALG II if you meet one of the following requirements:
- You have applied for BAföG, but a decision on your application has not yet been made.
- A supplement to the accommodation costs in special cases is possible if your need for accommodation costs is not covered because you can only receive 59 euros for this purpose through the BAföG needs assessment.