Study start-up assistance
The "Studienstarthilfe" is a one-time, earmarked grant from the state of Schleswig-Holstein for prospective students from low-income families to finance special expenses such as registration fees, semester fees and study-specific purchases. This is intended to make it easier for students to start their studies in Schleswig-Holstein.
Study startup help overview
You can apply for start-up assistance if you:
- in the month of application, you receive one of the following benefits alone or through a community of need:
Bürgergeld (formerly: Arbeitslosengeld II)
Kinderzuschlag (≠ Kindergeld)
or you live in an inpatient institution for child and youth welfare or in a foster family
- you are under 30 years of age
- the enrolment deadline has not yet passed on the day of application
- and you wish to enrol for the first time at a university within the area of responsibility of the Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein and were not enrolled at a university outside Schleswig-Hosltein.
You must submit the application before the start of your studies, i.e. after admission and before enrolment.
How do I submit the application?
- Download the application form from our website and fill it out.
- Copy the proof of the state benefits you receive.
- Add the letter of admission for subjects with restricted admissions or the application for enrolment for subjects without admission.
- Send the complete application and the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for a preliminary check. We will then check at short notice whether you are eligible to apply and send you further information.
- If everything fits, we will transfer 800 € to your account.
Attention! As of 1.5.2023, different guidelines will apply to start-up aid. There is also a new form. You can find both below. Please use them if you want to apply after 1.5.2023.