Book allowance, travel expenses, living expenses - everyone thinks of financial support when they hear the word scholarship. However, you also benefit from non-material support - such as free seminars, workshops and a network that supports you well into your professional life.
Scholarships are awarded by organizations for the promotion of gifted students, foundations and associations, or by companies. Throughout Germany, there are about 2000 institutions that support students financially and ideally in their academic education.
The cost of living is determined by your parents' income, and there are also flat rates for learning materials, subsidies for health and nursing care insurance, and childcare. All of this is free money that does not have to be paid back!
If you have a good grade point average (upper third) and are socially engaged, get advice on scholarships and take your chances!
At some university locations there are special scholarship consultations.
You can get a first (but not complete) overview of the scholarship landscape on a comparison portal .
Scholarships for a stay abroad
There are a variety of other scholarships aimed at specific target groups or courses of study, e.g. for: Students with disabilities, students with a refugee background, selected fields of study, or exceptional commitment (social, ecological, political, religious, etc.)
Use a variety of information offers, a first orientation is provided by:
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- General advice: Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft
- ArbeiterKind gemeinnützige GmbH for the promotion of higher education for non-academic children
Each scholarship provider sets its own requirements for applicants. Therefore, thoroughly research the scholarship program before applying. Good performance and voluntary commitment are usually the most important selection criteria. However, your individual life situation will also be taken into account during the application process.
- Look for a scholarship provider that suits you!
- Pay attention to the application deadlines!
- Let (former) scholarship holders help you with your application!
- Plan with a financing alternative!
- Take advantage of the scholarship advice at your university