In order to receive BAföG support, you must submit an application to our Office for Educational Support. In addition to your personal data, this mainly concerns your assets and your current income. Your parents must also provide information. The fastest and easiest way to apply is via BAföG Digital. On this platform you will be guided through your application. Your application will be checked for errors and you can upload all necessary documents directly.
At www.das-neue-bafoeg.de you can download the application forms as a complete set of forms and also fill them out on your PC. An application assistant of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) supports you if you do not know exactly which package you need. Otherwise, you can also call up each form directly with a mouse click.
We also need:
- a certificate of registration or the tenancy agreement (if you have your own apartment that is not owned by your parents or one of your parents. This can also be a student dormitory or a shared apartment)
- the certificate of study according to § 9 BAföG (every semester), alternatively form 2
- proof of health and nursing care insurance (if you are insured yourself and have to pay contributions)
There are other templates available for applying for international funding. You can find them on this page under "Application for international funding".
Application for international funding
You should submit your application together with the necessary documents as early as possible, six months before the start of your stay abroad, and in full to the Office for Educational Support of the Studentenwerk. In order to ensure a smooth processing of your application for benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG), we recommend that you appoint an authorized person in Germany for the duration of your stay abroad who is allowed to represent you in all matters - if only for reasons of postal delivery times.
It is best to use BAföG Digital to submit your application. You can use your personal account to upload documents online at a later date and send them directly to our case workers. Alternatively, you can of course receive each form individually.
In addition, we still need:
- Power of attorney
- Expert opinion of the domestic educational institution (not required if participation in an official EU exchange program, e.g. Erasmus/Socrates, is proven)
- Confirmation of the educational institution abroad
- For one outward and one return trip to Denmark, Iceland and Norway, a flat-rate travel allowance of 250 euros each is granted, i.e. 500 euros per stay abroad. Proof of travel expenses does not have to be submitted.
- The final certificate of study can be submitted on site after enrollment.
- There is no entitlement to domestic BAföG during the stay abroad. For the study abroad it is usually irrelevant whether you are on leave of absence at the university in Germany.