skip to main content
BAföG: Delays possible

Due to staff shortages, there may be delays in processing applications. We ask for your understanding. Therefore, please submit your application for WS 2023/24 now.



Auf einem Schreibtisch liegt ein Stapel Akten. Auf diesem liegen Dokumente, auf denen wiederum ein Stempel steht. Im Hintergrund sind verschwommen Bildschirme und ein Taschenrechner zu sehen.

In order to receive BAföG funding, you must submit an application to our Office for Educational Funding. In addition to your personal data, this mainly concerns your assets and your current income. Your parents must also provide information. The quickest and easiest way to apply is via BAföG Digital. On this platform, you will be guided through your application. Your application will be checked for errors and you can upload all the necessary documents directly.

BAföG Digital

  • Increase of the monthly needs rates:
    • Living with parents:
      • up to 511 euros (without own insurance contributions)
      • up to 633 Euro (with own insurance contributions)
      • up to 717 euros (from 30 years of age)
  • not living with parents:
    • up to 812 euros (without own insurance contributions)
    • up to 934 euros (with own insurance contributions)
    • up to 1,018 euros (from 30 years of age)
  • The needs rates are adjusted automatically. You do not have to submit a new application.

You can read the details in our FAQ.

Ein Student steht mit einer Mappe in der Hand in einem Büro. Im Hintergrund sitzt eine Frau an einem Schreibtisch mit einem PC.

Application for further funding

BAföG is usually granted for one year. You must then submit an application for continued funding. We answer many questions about this application in our BAföG FAQ. Remember that you can also submit this application easily via BAföG Digital. You save yourself a lot of paperwork. To make sure you don't forget any documents, please use our checklist.


Paper application

At you can download the application forms as a complete set of forms and also fill them out on your PC. An application assistant of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) supports you if you do not know exactly which package you need. Otherwise, you can also call up each form directly with a mouse click.

If you would like to send us your application by e-mail, please use the following e-mail:

We also need:

  • a certificate of registration or the tenancy agreement (if you have your own flat that is not owned by your parents or one of your parents. This can also be a student hall of residence or a shared flat).
  • the certificate of enrolment according to § 9 BAföG (every semester), alternatively form 2
  • Proof of health and nursing care insurance (if you are insured yourself and have to pay contributions)

Important notice:

There are other templates available for applying for international funding. You can find them on this page under "Application for international funding".

Application for international funding

You should submit your application, together with the necessary supporting documents, to the Office of Student Support Services (Amt für Ausbildungsförderung des Studentenwerks) as early as possible, six months before the start of your stay abroad, and in full. To ensure that your application for financial aid under the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG) is processed smoothly, we recommend that you appoint an authorised person in Germany to represent you in all matters for the duration of your stay abroad, if only to save postal delivery times.

It is best to use BAföG Digital to submit your application. You can use your personal account to upload documents online at a later time and send them directly to our case workers. Alternatively, you can of course receive each form individually.

In addition, we also require:

  • Power of attorney
  • Expert opinion of the educational institution in Germany (not required if participation in an official EU exchange programme, e.g. Erasmus/Socrates, is proven)
  • Confirmation from the educational institution abroad


  • A flat-rate travel allowance of 250 euros is granted for one outward and one return journey to Denmark, Iceland and Norway, i.e. 500 euros per stay abroad. Proof of travel expenses does not have to be submitted.
  • The final certificate of study can be submitted on site after enrolment.
  • There is no entitlement to domestic BAföG during the stay abroad. As a rule, it does not matter whether you are on leave of absence from the university in Germany.
Other topics

You might also be interested in this:

Scroll up
+49 431 8816-0
Shopping cart